Monday, June 8, 2009

Bible Rant #1

Summer is officially here. I'm sitting in the student center at school and typing this while I should be reading, but hey, I'm not sure I would have gotten this far with college if procrastination wasn't in the mix.

I've forgotten how depressing summer classes are. There's virtually no one on campus and the place is deserted. Shoot, I've forgotten how much I don't like summer. It's too hot, it's muggy at times, I sunburn way too easily, and as far as guy stuff is concerned, all the girls here seem to corporately wear less and less clothing, making it difficult to keep my mind pure during the day.

Amidst all the thing I don't enjoy about summer is this: I'm actually going to read the entire Bible. I've never done this before. It will be a feat for me and will hopefully help me create the discipline I so terribly need in my life. I read the first sixteen chapters of Genesis last night and was blown away by the idea that all of those people from Adam and Eve, to Abram, actually had face to face, personal, and most of the time physical encounters with God.

Sometimes I pray for God to wreck me in a way that I'll never recover from. By this I mean that God would tear me down and I would never be the same, because here is my plight (most of you will relate to this): my sins always come back, and I end up going back to my sins. It's not that I make a conscious effort to constantly sin, or is it? Every sinful action requires a choice to commit the act or run from it. Most of the time my legs refuse to run.

Anyway. I'm hoping and praying that my discipline habits will grow through this and that God will reveal Himself to me in a huge way. Maybe a burning bush. We'll see.

No comments: